27 April 2008

Daytime TV Beware!

Inside my head, you might hear this phrase on a continuous mind numbing loop, "I can't study like this. There. No. I can't study like this. There. No. I can't study like this!". 


As mentioned before I've got serious skills in the area of procrastination. When I was younger, I hadn't quite honed said skills. Now that I'm above the fray, I would never do something so trivial as watching the tele to avoid homework. It's taken 24 years, but ho, watch out Sally Jessy Raphael! 

The process now looks a bit like this:

1) Collect all books, notes, papers, pens, markers and note cards from the various suspiciously mystifying places they've ended up. Who put my Microbiology notebook under the dining room table, beneath this blanket?????? Oh. Me. 

2) Sit down.
3) Collect myself, take a deep breath. 
4) Open book.
5) Read one sentence.
6) Ooh. I need a drink of water.
7) Sit down, with water. Start again.
8) Ooh. My hair is in my face. I should put it up.
9) Sit down, with water, hair up. Start again. 
10) Ooh. Those baseboards are really dirty. Gross.
11) Clean baseboards. Aaaah. So much better.
12) Water. Hair up. Clean baseboards. Start again.
13) Ooh. I should probably vacuum today. 
14) Water. Hair up. Clean baseboards. Vacuumed house. Start again.
15) Ooh. Too much water. I need to go to the bathroom. Hey! This bathroom is gross... It needs to be cleaned.
16) Water, Hair, Baseboards, Vacuum, Visit & Clean bathroom. Start again.
17) Whew. Man, I'm kinda hungry.
18) Make lunch.... notice the dishes that need to be done... 
19) Water, Hair, Baseboards, Vacuum, Bathroom, Dishes. Start again.
20) Look at clock. Man, I've been doing homework for HOURS. I need a break. Probably best to just finish this up tomorrow.

House - so clean during the semester... 

4 comments:

Deanna said...

its been exactly 45 minutes since we hung up from our phone conversation and I JUST got up from the spot I was sitting in. what am I doing with my day? so glad we talked. now do your homework!

Annie said...

perhaps I need some homework to do and then my house will be clean... Of course, some say pregnancy does the same thing - I'm not so convinced yet. I'm going to go vacuum now. After I finish watching this episode of Scrubs... ah see, now I just procrastinate cleaning.

KristaCrotty said...

i do the same thing...finals makes for an amazingly clean house! good luck on that hmwk!

Marti said...

First I thought, "You ARE your mother's daughter"--and then I read the other comments--and thought, "They can't ALL be my children!"

Whose children are we?

I LOVE it that we procrastinate by doing something else we have procrastinated doing. In the end, it should all work out perfectly :-)